Monday, January 26, 2015

Preserving Herbs in Sugar

Preserving Herbs in Sugar 

Thanks to Healthy Green Kitchen for the tutorial

 I learned about making herbal sugars from Nigella Lawson’s book: How to Be a Domestic Goddess. I have kept rosemary sugar in my cupboard for years: I like to add a teaspoon or so to batches of homemade tomato sauce as well as meat stews. I recently made some with basil in addition to rosemary and I plan to use it the same way.


Other herbs that can be used to make herbal sugars are mint, thyme and sage, as well as lavender. Adding a vanilla bean to a jar of sugar is also a great idea (though I doubt very much you have vanilla beans in your garden). For a subtle herbal touch, you can add just a few sprigs of your preferred herb to a jar containing 2-4 cups of (preferably organic) sugar. Or, if you are looking for more herbal flavor, you can use more of the herbs and bruise and chop them before adding to the sugar. These sugars last for a long time, especially if you are like me and you don’t use sugar all that much.
Sugars made with sweet herbs and edible flowers are also lovely- here is a sugar I made from finely chopped lavender leaves. Like a vanilla sugar, I think it will be nice in tea, or perhaps I will use it to flavor winter porridge or mix it into plain yogurt.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hiding place off with his head

Here's a fun little project to turn a stuffed animal in to a great hiding spot for your valuables. its cheap and super fun for ...