Thursday, May 21, 2015

Shabby birdbath



Start by glueing a terra cotta bottom to the pot with Elmer's, Tacky glue or any general craft glue. You can use tall or short pots, but the "Bath" needs to be a bit larger than what would fit the bottom of a pot. So, if you buy a 6" pot, then buy an 8" bottom tray. Make sense ?


 Next I mix up some paint. ( Acrylic ) I cant stand the hot, bright pinks they sell, so I always make my own by adding lots of white acrylic paint to the stores brand of pink. Brush on THREE coats, letting dry between each coat. I do not prime, or spray the pots first and you will see why next.





A Sweet n' Shabby Birdbath....................I like to use them to fill with potpourri, but they could be used as decorative soap holders as well as candle holders.

Start by glueing a terra cotta bottom to the pot with Elmer's, Tacky glue or any general craft glue. You can use tall or short pots, but the "Bath" needs to be a bit larger than what would fit the bottom of a pot. So, if you buy a 6" pot, then buy an 8" bottom tray. Make sense ?
Next I mix up some paint. ( Acrylic ) I cant stand the hot, bright pinks they sell, so I always make my own by adding lots of white acrylic paint to the stores brand of pink. Brush on THREE coats, letting dry between each coat. I do not prime, or spray the pots first and you will see why next.After my pot is dry, I shabby it up with 220 grit sand paper. When it is to your liking , use a wet cloth and wipe it down really well. At this point I seal it. You can do this with a brush on Acrylic Clear Sealer, or a clear spray paint ( water based ) I opt for the spray personally. When I was taught years ago to Tole Paint, I was told Brush strokes are a no-no. The smoother the painting the better, so that is how I paint today. However, since this is supposed to be chippy and shabby, get as sloppy as you want. It is a "Cant go wrong " Project :) :) :)

So now you want to gather your Doo Dads for embellishing. Every Bird bath needs a Bird. :) I always have wee Bird in a nest on the rim of the bath. You can use dried moss and roll it into a ball, hot glue it on and then "Fluff" it up a bit. I used tiny paper shred on mine. 

 So, Now you have your base to add the flowers. I added vintage lily of the valley, honeysuckle and vintage pink posies. To this I added new pink roses and pink forget me nots.

And Ta-Da !!! It is finished !! Easy Peasy, Right ?????


Thanks to Rhea for the great tutorial

No comments:

Post a Comment